Saturday, April 4, 2009
Overnight Caramel-Apple Rolls
Prep Time:35 Min
Total Time:10 Hr 30 Min
3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, salt and yeast; mix well.
2. In small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup applesauce, milk and 1/4 cup butter; cook over medium heat until very warm (120 to 130°F.), stirring constantly. Add warm mixture and egg to flour mixture; blend at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir in 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups flour until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl.
3. On floured surface, knead in an additional 1/2 to 3/4 cup flour until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl; cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place (80 to 85°F.) until light and doubled in size, 45 to 60 minutes.
4. Grease 13x9-inch pan. Combine topping ingredients in pan; mix well. Spread evenly in pan.
5. On lightly floured surface, roll dough to 15x12-inch rectangle. Spread dough with 2 tablespoons butter. In small bowl, combine 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon; mix well. Sprinkle over butter.
6. Starting with 15-inch side, roll up tightly, pinching edges to seal. Cut roll into 12 slices; place cut side down over topping in pan. Cover; refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
7. When ready to bake, let rolls stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Heat oven to 400°F. Uncover rolls; bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan 1 minute; invert onto serving platter or tray. Scrape any remaining topping onto rolls. Serve warm.